tariq [at] aftershox [dot] com
U.S Permanent Resident/Green Card Holder | Canadian & British Citizen
San Francisco Bay Area, CA
I.T & Software Engineering Leader
An agent of change with 17+ years of challenging the status quo and successfully using technology to drive innovation, revenue, profitability, and organizational performance from startups to Fortune 500 companies. Track record of visualizing opportunities, and using strong problem solving skills coupled with strategic planning and tactical execution in order to actualize them. Specializing in leading change through organizational planning, process engineering, and data driven decision making. Adept at achieving goals with unusually tight constraints in high intensity environments.
|Organizational Design & PlanningHigh Performance Team DevelopmentLeading Change
|Technology Strategy & ExecutionExecutive CoachingCMS | CRM | Portals | eCommerce
|Process EngineeringProject Management | ALM | SDLCBusiness Intelligence
Web Application Development
|Amcom Technology Inc., San Ramon – California||
2006 – Current
Director, Technology and Software Engineering | 2011-Present
- Provided leadership, direction, strategy, and vision in the areas of business intelligence, full stack web application development, and I.T capability in order to facilitate and enable growth and business agility for Amcom as well as their customers.
- Lead the organizational transformation from a chaotic reactionary environment to a goal oriented and focused business culture by institutionalizing nested objectives, smart goal setting, company and product visions, and eliminating committee driven prioritization. This resulted in consistent value delivery, and high staff morale.
- Increased I.T effectiveness by implementing a Cloud/SaaS strategy in order to focus efforts on mission critical activities while reducing operational costs using tiered storage, I.T automation, elastic computing, and self-healing systems.
Sr. Manager, Software Engineering & Business Intelligence | 2008-2011
- Enabled a strategic competitive advantage and operational superiority through the use of agile development practices, software frameworks, test automation, and business intelligence.
- Introduced and lead the implementation of a company first data warehouse front-ended with MicroStrategy in order to deliver self service analytics. Reduced the average turn around time of new report requests from 3 weeks to 1 day.
Manager, Software Engineering | 2006-2008
- Reduced the effort spent on software defects from 25% to a sustained rate of 2%.
- Increased the value to ROI conversion rate of technology centric projects from 5% to 50% by coaching business leaders on how to actualize potential ROI.
Sr. Web Architect | 2005-2006
- Rescued an ailing mission critical custom CRM and ERP solution through a process of reverse engineering and re-architecting with a solid scalable foundation while facilitating ongoing business operations. Coupled with high availability and disaster recovery initiatives, the technology platform improved availability from 70% to 99.9%.
|eBay Inc., San Jose – California||
2003 – 2005
Web Services Manager/Senior Web Architect
- Project Lead/Senior Architect tasked with the strategic planning, development, and adoption of knowledge management systems that foster an efficient knowledge driven workforce through the use of content management, portals, and collaborative tools. In charge of architecting and approving application infrastructure design, conducting code reviews, and aligning technical efforts.
- Spearheaded initiatives that have resulted in over $1M per developer head count in savings year over year through the use of rapid application development, low cost projects with high ROI, and custom application infrastructure that enables immediate execution of business priorities.
- Highly successful at evangelizing and selling new projects, technologies (e.g. Macromedia Flex & Rich Internet Applications), and ideas to Senior level management. The results of which have reduced dependencies on single points of knowledge by 50%, time spent acquiring knowledge by 350%, and overall time wasted in repetitive tasks.
|TIBCO Finance/REUTERS., Palo Alto – California||
1998 – 2003
Web Services Manager/Senior Web Architect
- Manager/Senior Architect with full responsibility for the strategic planning, development, and management of the Professional Web Services department. Given full autonomy for establishing new lines of business and internet based solutions that maximize company effectiveness. Responsible for leading, mentoring, and supervising a small team of technical staff. In charge of architecting and approving application infrastructure design, conducting code reviews, and aligning technical efforts.
- Pioneered enterprise level corporate web solutions for a 15000 employee company. Solutions include content management systems, business portals, and seamless integration of third party infrastructure (real time quotes, market data, financial news, Peoplesoft CRM). Bridged existing applications/warehouses into an interoperable heterogeneous environment (Oracle, Sybase, Solaris, Win2K, Apache, iPlanet, IIS, ColdFusion, Java, ASP, Perl, XML, C++). Additional applied skills involved SQL/Database performance tuning, UNIX configuration, and Windows load balancing deployment. Third level of support was also provided, as well as coaching to junior staff.
- Promoted, architected, and developed a state of the art knowledge management web based database driven Intranet system that unified content, automated internal processes (increasing component efficiencies from 65% to 180%), and revolutionized corporate culture with respect to collaboration. This included access control, online real-time finance sales forecasting, marketing client reference reporting, and the documentation archival system.
|iSTAR/PSINet Internet Inc., Ottawa – Ontario||
1997 – 1998
Electronic Commerce Architect/Systems Integrator
- Designed and engineered the iSTAR iCOMMERCE branded electronic commerce offering using Open Market Transact for transaction processing and fulfillment, and iCAT Commerce Exchange for store catalog hosting. It was the first multilingual payment system in the world, and the first eCommerce system capable of handling international tax transactions. Key objectives included customer information security, flexible architecture, rapid customer turn up, zero down time policy with the use of rapid recovery and redundant hot standby systems.
- Managed and maintained the iCOMMERCE Solaris nodes requiring general maintenance, implementation of strict security policies, network administration, automated encrypted backup strategies, software upgrades and integration, implementation of network/system monitoring tools, troubleshooting, auditing, and documenting procedures.
|Bell Sygma Telecom Solutions, Ottawa – Ontario||
1994 – 1997
Web Master/Software Engineer
- Introduced and promoted the web as an effective information, support, and application technology platform by spearheading corporate web initiatives.
- Improved support technology by inventing an interactive real-time web driven network-monitoring application that allowed support personnel the ability to monitor telecom infrastructure super-imposed against a graphical map of the country.
- Developed C++ middleware for the Bell Trouble Management System, which routed messages to and from C++ objects in an n-Tiered architecture.
- Proactive in leading the adoption of Java by writing applications to promote the potential of the technology. Featured items include a vacation scheduler to automate the employee vacation process, and a COBRA-Web interface into the Trouble Management System’s logging service.
- Created C++ Web based API’s. This included a browser remote control and context sensitive help engine.
1994 – 2005
- Developed professional web sites for large clients including Cyber-Blitz, Friesen Kaye and Associates, Nanowave, and Bell Canada that elevated their online presence, aided in corporate branding, and increased customer confidence, and cutting edge presentation. Created the Sosa Landscape website which improved revenues by 246% after launch.
- Personal Projects that attained one millions hits a month such as CFLEX.Net, AfterShox.com, etc… Gained recognition from various publications including the Globe and Mail, Ottawa Citizen, Roger’s Tech 2000, 24Hrs in Cyberspace, Wicked Mystic magazine, San Jose Mercury News, London Times, ColdFusion Developers Journal, and TIME Magazine. As well top status from Riddler’s Choice, Cool Site of the Day, etc…
|2014||CIO Pocket MBA||Boston University|
|2011||Enterprise Agile Development||cPrime|
|2004||Macromedia Flex Development||SchoonerTech|
|2003||Career Development Planning||Career Systems Inc.|
|2003||Project Management||Cadence Mgmt Corp.|
|2002||Macromedia Flash Development||In-House Productions|
|2000||Advanced ColdFusion||Allaire Corporation|
|1998||TIB-RV API||TIBCO Finance Technology|
|1997||OM-Transact Administration||Open Market|
|1997||iCAT Developer Course||CAT University|
|1996||OO Analysis & Design in Booch Notation||Rational Software Corporation|
|1996||Netscape Developers Conference||Netscape|
|1995||Seven Habits of Effectiveness||Covey Leadership Center|
|1995||OO Analysis, Modeling, and Design||ICON Computing Inc.|
|1994||BSc.||Ottawa University. Ottawa – Canada|
|Project Award Winner for Flight Planning Software.|
Programming Languages, Frameworks, and Interfaces
- Application Tier: Java, Groovy, Grails, C, C++, Perl.
- RIA: Adobe Flex, Flash ActionScript.
- Database Tier: SQL (adhoc, stored procedures, UDFs, views).
- Systems Development Life Cycles (SDLC), Agile methodologies/practices (Scrum).
- Object Oriented Analysis & Design (OOAD), Model-View-Controller (MVC).
- User interface development (usability, user experience, design), database driven web applications, content management systems, portals.
- Windows Server 2008/2012, OSX, UNIX
- Web: Apache, IIS, JRUN, Tomcat
- Database: Microsoft SQL/SQL Server, MySQL, LDAP
- Business Intelligence: Crystal Reports, MicroStrategy, SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS)